Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Monet and Duchamp



                           claude-monet-paintings-1861-1874-7.jpg


As an artist, Impressionist works, especially those of Claude Monet, intrigued me this quarter. His use of light is inspirational as well as educational as I can reference his work to see, for example, what sunlight might look like in a specific sort of setting. The use of light in work such as On the Banks of the Seine, Bennecourt, is one of the reasons I enjoyed studying Monet’s work so much.
The way sunlight is reflected off of surfaces is very well achieved in On The Banks. The bold ultra saturated colors in the background and on the water give the impression that it is a cloudless, hot and vibrant day. It reminds me of the bright green of the grass on a summer day. Perhaps Monet was thinking the same when he added a small clump of bright green in the lower left of the painting.  His goal to make art that is just nice to look at is very much achieved by reminding us of the way sunlight works in nice weather.
Monet’s use of broken brush strokes help me to remind myself to relax when I’m painting or drawing. Often times, I will become overwhelmed with a visual idea that I love so much that I just want to get it onto paper or canvas as quickly as possible. But when I do this I don’t paint or draw as well as I’m capable of. I haven’t taken the time to “warm up” and let myself freely work. I freeze and become frustrated and uninspired. Monet’s work reminds me to let go of mastering the idea right away and to physically warm up to get my artist skills going and to not focus on creating a masterpiece every time I pick up a brush. Monet’s work is a good example that beautiful works can be made through quick, freely moving technique. This technique also very therapeutic and relaxing.
A second work that I really enjoy is Fountain by Marcel Duchamp. While not an extravagant painting or a crafted work, Marcel Duchamp’s Fountain has always been a favorite of mine. Of course it isn’t the physical object itself (urinal), but the meaning behind Duchamp’s actions both before and after Fountain was entered and reject from the “Forum” exhibition in which no work was to be rejected. He plays off the whole thing like he is sincerely shocked that his work did not get into the exhibition. Through humor, attitude and sarcasm Duchamp totally challenges people to think about what “art” actually means. Duchamp teaches us that art can be “primarily conceptual”. He proves his point through Fountain which is a concept achieved through humor and a tool in which to prove a concept.


                            duchampfountaincol.jpg             

2 comments:

  1. I love how you talk about the need to relax before you begin a work. It makes it easier to understand how we get artist or writers block when we stand on the brink of creating but just can't get the juices flowing right. I had never thought of getting the juices flowing by exercising my mind and body first. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Joy said, I like that you recognized it is important to remember that you may not always create a masterpiece each time you create something. I know that I have to keep that in mind, even if I work in precious metals, and keep the thought of the financial burden out of it, and to keep myself really just thinking of the concept and design. :D
    I found myself thinking about drawing class this morning and how in order to get an A, you simply had to try hard, drawings didn't have to be amazing and lifelike, they just had to show that you looked and drew what you saw. This way of working is the opposite of the way I work in jewelry because everything has to be well crafted or else it's not good. It's good for me to keep these two things in mind. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete